Remember the grits of old, or even of now I guess? When we had grits they had milk and sugar and were everything sweet and yummy. I may have to make that version soon now that I think about it. But I digress… This recipe is much more savory and it involves one of my all-time favorite ‘food groups,’ cheese (don’t judge me).
Originally, I had seen a similar recipe from one of my most beloved cooking shows/celebrity chefs Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. But then I found this one. I heated up a square a day for breakfast during the week and was ready to rumble. Enjoy!
Original Recipe from Food.com
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking grits
1 (16 ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese*
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1. Heat water and salt to boiling.
2. Gradually add grits and return to boiling.
3. Reduce heat.
4. Simmer uncovered, stirring for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool, slightly.
6. Add cheese, butter and eggs, mix well to ensure all of the grits are incorporated.
7. Bake at 350 degrees until a light golden brown, about 50 minutes.
(Tara’s Tips: *It goes without saying, NO pre-shredded cheese was used in the making of this recipe. I shredded two 8oz.-blocks of cheddar cheese.)